Cookies on The Tuam Herald website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Tuam Herald website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
Hide Message
  • News

Galway's speedsters are getting the point

Wednesday, 10th May, 2017 10:01am

Story by Siobhan Holliman
Jump to comments
Galway's speedsters are getting the point
Galway's speedsters are getting the point

GARDAI across the county have been told to increase the detection of speeding motorists as part of a major campaign to reduce deaths and serious injuries on Galway’s roads this year.
Figures for motorists caught speeding have jumped by 66 per cent so far this year compared to the same period in 2016 and Galway’s Garda chief warns there will no “take it easy” approach on any route around the county.
Serious injuries have increased by 120 per cent during the first four months of the year in Co Galway, with speed and mobile phone use often factors.
Chief Superintendent Tom Curley says a new initiative targetting drivers aged 17 to 25 is being piloted in Galway.

Read more in this week's edition

Purchase a digital edition gift subscription for 1 YEAR  for those overseas. Local news on the move and accessible on all platforms; desktop, tablet and smartphones